I was wandering around with Bart 2 weeks' ago with our roller scooters and decided to take a look at the cemetery that Tante Inge visits almost everyday. The early Heldeis ancestors from the 1800s and Tante Inge's late husband are buried there. We didn't know the exact spot of the Heldeis grave, but the moment I stepped into the compound, I didn't want to leave so quickly. Contrary to the Chinese cemeteries, this one here doesn't give me creeps, nor was I attacked by mosquitoes. If there were 1000 graveyard head stones in this cemetery, 999 were all beautifully decorated with fresh flowers and lit with candles. It seems like the people here remember the loved ones that have passed on by visiting their graves often, not just on special occasions.
I was completely consumed by its tranquility. In that instance, I was more certain I wasn't afraid of death anymore. I know where I will be, and I know I will still be remembered, even a long time after I die. I would like to die here.
No comments:
Post a Comment