These couple of days I have been suffering from hay fever. No, hay fever is not a fever.
From wikipedia: Hay fever is an allergic inflammation of the nasal airways. It occurs when an allergen, such as pollen, dust or animal dander, is inhaled by an individual with a sensitized immune system. In such individuals, the allergen triggers the production of antibody immunoglobulin, which binds to mast cells and basophils containing histamine. When caused by pollens or any plants, it is known as pollinosis, and if specifically caused by grass pollens, it is known as "hay fever". Ironically, in hay fever, there is neither any fever nor any hay, but since grasses shed their pollens into the air at about the same time that hay is being cut, the common term hay fever is used.
My nose is stuck and keeps running. My eyes/nose area becomes very congested and as a result, it impairs my thinking. With my eyes half-open, I feel so sleepy all the time. Lethargic is the word. It is like you don't look so well but at the same time, you don't look too unwell either. Bart seems to spot the symptoms too, he took a nap yesterday in the afternoon, something which he had never done before. Christophe had it worse a week before. He had to take time off from his work. His eyes were red and they kept tearing, and the skin around his nose and upper lips all tore due to excessive nose-blowing. Compared to him, my symptoms are milder.
I had popped two anti-histamine so far and the second time seemed to help dry up my nose. Nasal sprays clear my blocked nose temporarily but it also makes my nose run like tap water. Sleeping helps to regain my energy level a bit but it vapourizes within an hour after I got up. I just feel like a walking zombie.
But of course, I can't behave like one because Ludwig and Enzian had their friends over for project work and they seriously need supervision. You know what happens if no one's there to remind them why they are here in the first place. Then Johann also has his friend over, so my house/garden transforms itself into a children's playhouse immediately. Then naturally with all the noise generated by them, neighbour's kids also came over... so I count, I have 10 boys in my garden. Faint.
I sometimes feel like I do have 10 pairs of hands. Watching over the kids, supervising those doing their projects, running in and out of the kitchen to serve drinks/snacks and cook dinner, stopping those that are spraying water with the hose in the garden. Yet, I could still serve dinner on time. I must admit, I feel rather proud of my multitasking skills. These kids sure help to hone my skills to a higher level... but with a big dose of frustration.
I can hear my blocked breathing while I type. I hope the symptoms come to an end as the week ends.
Friday, May 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment