"Does your daddy spend little time with you like our daddy?" asked one of our boys to their friend, whose family we are spending our Pfingstferien with.
The girl told her father that little conversational exchange, who in turn related to Christophe and I overheard it. I felt an instant ache in my heart for the boys. They long for more time with their father, always hoping, always yearning, but they feel more disappointment than satisfaction more times than we desire.
Christophe and I have discussed this topic many times over. We haven't yet found a solution that meets the needs of everyone. I hope this serves as a wake-up call to him. I wish I could take over this responsibility from him, but it is obvious I can't. I did not grow up as a boy. I don't know how one think or feel while growing up, while entering puberty, and then into adulthood. To become a man, that is. I can't share my experiences because I have none.
What I could offer from a female perspective, I have done so and am still doing. I just don't know how helpful (or even harmful) it can be in this stage. Whatever I could do, I do.
Whatever reasons why he isn't spending more time with them would all sound like excuses, so I wouldn't even want to go into that. I can only continue to try to create little windows of opportunities for them. And I hope that little bit of effort will add to the time he has or will set aside for them, with them.
Darling, I know it is easier said than done. But what has to be done, must be done. The time will slip by without your realising it. There is a difference between urgent and important, versus urgent and not important. There is also a difference between not urgent but important and not urgent and not important.
Saturday, June 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment