Ever since the school that the boys attend converted to a full-day school, we have to literally cancel most privately arranged after-school activities for them. So far, classes that we have given up and yet to resume are soccer, swimming, chinese, music and tennis. It's not likely we'll continue with tennis and chinese. (I really have to work on the chinese bit, the boys are already dreaming in german!). I'm still thinking very hard how to work in these activities into their current schedule without:
1. Burning our weekends;
2. Taking away too much of the boys' playtime (and homework time); and
3. Putting too much stress on myself having to chauffeur them from place to place on a daily basis.
As it is, the boys are taking Taekwondo, pottery, textile making, Lego, handicrafts and children's games classes in school. Their school hours are 8am to 3.30pm from Mondays to Thursdays and till 1.20pm on Fridays. These classes are optional, but they bring so much enjoyment to them too. That leaves us with no more time for other things!
I like to keep the boys to myself on Fridays - to have lunch together, to ride bicycles, to go to the park, to do nothing or to occasionally arrange playdates for them. Then it's the weekend, the only time I get to wake up a little later, the time I feel I don't have to make myself run for them, the time when the whole family gets to be together.
Ludwig and his piano teacher, Carolyn.
Having said that, Ludwig has been consistently requesting to learn piano (and Enzian, on a less consistent basis, drum), so finally, after more than half a year wait, he gets his first 30 minutes lesson on 14 February, on a Saturday morning. He's very happy and even practises twice a week for 15 mins at Mrs Tan's, our gracious neighbour. Hopefully his enthusiasm for learning music continues.

No comments:
Post a Comment