My step-by-step plan to leave Johann in the kindergarten on his own for 2 hrs worked expectedly well today. I like to think that I have prepared him well since the day he started his trial. As long as my German class is on, today would be the last time I walk him to the kindergarten through the park.
After settling the admission procedures with the principal, I went to him, who was sitting on his teacher's lap listening to the story of Rainbow Fish, I told him I would pick him up immediately after I return home to cook lunch. His first reaction was to get up from her lap and declared he was going home with me too. After a bit of coaxing by his teacher and I, he finally felt safe enough to go back to his teacher's lap to continue from where he left off.
I left quickly so there was no chance for him to have second thoughts about leaving with me. I wasn't terribly sad to let him go for the first-time to the hands of a kindergarten teacher because I knew he was matured enough to understand and trust that I will come back to him and I was confident of the young but very experienced teacher I had entrusted him to.When I returned to fetch him 2 hours later, he didnt even notice that I had been watching him for a good 10 minutes at the door of his room. He was so focussed on taking apart the lego pieces that he became unaware of his surroundings, other than his teacher.
Another thumbs up for doing so well, Johann! Last hurdle to cross: getting picked up by his teacher in the morning. I've arranged to see him off next Monday, a day before my German class so I could explain and familiarise him with the procedure from next Tuesday on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment