Red snappers, cut-up stingrays (top of picture) and other smaller fish.
Baby sharks.
When I was at the market where I bought the red snapper, I was appalled to see young sharks being one of the fishes on sale. I thought sharks were protected, endangered species but why were they even on sale at a small market!? If even this tiny place is selling sharks, I can imagine the severity of this problem. I phoned to tell my mother about this, she said it's a very common sight in the markets in Singapore too.
It looks like the efforts and funds spent by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to raise the awareness for the protection of endangered animals can never be enough. A friend whose husband works in WWF says this is like a job equivalent to moving the mountains, and Asia being the largest market for delicacies of shark fins soup (in this case) and many more exotic dishes.
It's so sad.
"When the buying stops, the killing stops too."


No comments:
Post a Comment