Monday, May 10, 2010

Nicht nur heute zum Muttertag

Self-made gifts of love from Bart (booklet), Enzian, Ludwig (poem, paper flowers and hand-sewn hearts) and Johann (placemat with potato prints and card).

Nicht nur heute zum Muttertag,

sage ich dir, dass ich dich mag.

Denn du bist immerzu fuer mich da,

Tag fuer Tag bist du meine Mama.

Du begleitest mich auf meinem Weg durch das Leben,

hast mir deine Waerme und Liebe gegeben.

Schenkst mir immer wieder dein Vertrauen,

auf deine Hilfe kann ich jederzeit bauen.

Du hilfst mir bei Kummer, Aerger und Sorgen

und bist fuer mich da gestern, heute und morgen.

Niemals laesst du mich allein,

und ich – will ohne dich nicht sein.

Darum sage ich “Danke” fuer all das, was du gibst,

dass du mich verstehst, umsorgst und liebst.

Ich bin ja so froh, dass du meine Mutter bist

und wuensche mir, dass du das niemals vergisst.

 

I teared up as Ludwig recited this poem to me.  Even though this poem might not mean as much to them yet as it means to me, my heart is swelled with love and warmth as I listened to the recital.  It melted my harshness towards them earlier in the week.  The poem excellently draws out the essence of my maternal sentiments, it cannot describe better how I feel about being a mother, their mother.

They had been telling me throughout last week that they were making surprises in school for me.  I told them, on the contrary, that I did not really want them to celebrate mother’s day, I emphasized that mother’s day is every day, not just that Sunday in May.  That I did not want to be specially treated just on that day, but every day, throughout the year.  That just being a little more responsible for themselves would be little gifts of joy they could give me, every day.  That just helping a little around the house would be perfect to make my day.  That showing some understanding and more love towards each other would make life a little simpler. 

My dearest Bart, Enzian, Ludwig and Johann, thank you for injecting colours to my otherwise dull life; for showing me love; for teaching me patience; for pushing me to overcome my fears of seeing blood and handling accidents; for pulling out the ugliest side of me but at the same time guiding me how to be a better person; for reminding me that we are all not perfect and never will be.  I love you for all the happiness and blessedness you so generously grant me and I continually look forward to the unexpected rewards of being your mother in all the different phases of your lives, for as long as I live.  I love you with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment