Sunday, July 18, 2010

Counting Our Blessings

From left: Enzian, me, Johann (front), Bart (back), Ludwig, Chantal (mother-in-law), Tante Inge, Christophe, Heinz (father-in-law), Heide-Rose (Heinz’s wife), Kurt (Chantal’s husband, not in photo, the man behind the camera)

When we left for Singapore from Malaysia, six lovely families organized a farewell party for us. On our last day there, they crowded around our empty house, chit-chatting while waiting for the moment to say their goodbyes.  It was extremely difficult for me, I could only nod my head to express my appreciation and gratitude for their well wishes, for if I opened my mouth, I knew I would choke on my words and start breaking down.  I still have tears in my eyes when I recall the parting scene – me sitting in the car, waving to them, fighting back tears.  I couldn’t even verbalise “I love you” to Chris, my very dear special friend, whom I had the privilege of knowing during my two years’ stay in Ara Damansara.  I could only hope that she could read my lips.  I was also relieved I got my last chance to bid farewell to Nicky, another friend whom I unfortunately got to know a little later than Chris. 

When we left for Germany from Singapore, ten people (my parents, two younger sisters Caroline and Zoe, brother-in-law Rao, niece Rachel and nephew Ralph, aunt Diana and uncle Raymond and cousin Gillian) I love sent us to the airport in two cars and a van.  I could see everyone seizing their chance to make the best out of the last few moments.  We have no idea when we will see each other again.  Kids playing, adults chatting, and everyone taking lots of pictures.  We stretched the time to the maximum, exchanged our last hugs and well-wishes, before we entered the immigration to have our passports stamped and waved our last goodbyes.  This time round, it was more difficult for the boys than for me.  Bart was holding himself back from crying, while Enzian started to cry after the immigration.  He was so sad, “I miss my mama (grandma)”.

When we touched down at Munich Airport, five people (pictured above) welcomed us with wide open arms.  It also took three cars to bring the entire gang to our house.  Tante Inge’s house, actually.  A fully-furnished, well-equipped house.  Even the refrigerators and freezer are stocked up, awaiting our arrival.  The neighbours seem to know us already too.  Even though our container from Malaysia will arrive in three to four weeks’ time, I really think we don’t need anything we had packed.  This house is a present from Tante Inge.  One can say it is better than striking first prize in the lottery.

I don’t know what we had done to deserve all of these blessings.  The kinship and friendships, love and generosity, helpfulness and kindness, tolerance and trust, patience and forgiveness, so readily showered upon us.  But I know I don’t take these for granted, I remind myself and the children everyday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment