She clutched to the steering wheel a little too tightly, perspiration droplets began forming on her forehead. “Slowly depress the acceleration pedal, when you feel the front of the car floating up, release the hand brake and apply more acceleration,” repeated the driving instructor patiently. She detested driving up the slope, “damn it, why can’t the traffic police department offer the automatic car option?!”, thought to herself and for the 6th time, the car stalled while the instructor swiftly pulled up the hand brake before it rolled backwards.
“How was your lesson today?”, her husband asked as he stepped out of another learner’s car and walked towards to join her. “I think I would need more hours than you before I could register for the practical exam,” she looked down at her almost filled-up driving log card and sighed heavily, “I am just not driving material, I couldn’t even drive up a slope without stalling the car!” He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, “you will get there, darling! Don’t feel discouraged!” She couldn’t comprehend why her husband was so insistent that they took driving lessons together, “it’s really unnecessary!”
X X X
As expected, her husband passed his driving test at his first attempt. It was an easy feat. Wife was disappointed but wasn’t surprised she didn’t make it, “well, I will just try again,” after booking and paying for a few more lessons over the counter of the driving school.
Meantime, husband was researching for the car types that might suit the family’s needs. He worked fast, the couple visited a few showrooms, test-drove a few and decided on a 7-seater MPV. Wife was happy being the passenger, “can I always be the passenger of our car?” Husband shook his head gently, “you’ll never know when your driving license will come in handy one day, thus you need to practice driving this car after you pass your test.” Wife pouted her lips and stayed silent, for she knew she had no other choice. He had already decided for her, and she disliked that.
X X X
“I don’t want to try again! I just can’t pass!!!” she thought she made it this time, afterall, it was her third attempt, with a few sympathy points from her tester, as she looked big in her pregnancy. She was pissed, real pissed with herself, for not being able to get it right. She had decided to give up, no one, not even her husband, was going to force her to take up a driver’s license anymore, “I have tried three times, it is enough!”
No comments:
Post a Comment