Thursday, December 9, 2010

Inter-Class Handball Tournament

Last Friday, I brought the brood to Bart's school. It was Enzian and Ludwig's first visit. Even though it would have been more convenient to drive, we went by bus. I had never driven on snowy roads, I didn't know what to expect. I had been told it requires more care while driving, but I didn't know what I would experience if I were to, for example, make a turn or an emergency brake. I didn't want to put my children's lives at risk. The winter tyres do not eliminate all the problems while driving on snowy, and especially icy roads. Besides, the boys enjoy taking bus rides, particularly Johann, who would have loved to press the "STOP" button non-stop if he wasn't stopped by his brothers.


Bart was so excited when he saw us, he had expected our turn-up, but he was nonetheless extremely delighted. His classmates were also very curious about us, I could hear them whispering to Bart, "Ist sie deine Mutter? Sind sie deine Brueder?" They were all so friendly and so ready to make friends with Enzian and Ludwig, who were unusually shy and slow to warm up.

The highlight of the tournament wasn't really the tournament. It felt more like a junior social event, with girls and boys cheering for their respective teams. Bart was reserved goalkeeper and he claimed he only played for 2 minutes in the 8-minute match. Unfortunately, we didn't get to witness him in action for we got so lost trying to find the entrance to the sports hall.

It was a relaxing and out-of-routine way to end the school week. Bart's team came in 4th (out of 5 teams), but we left with a satisfied smile on all our faces, Bart's one in particular.

Why does a simple gesture of turning up at his softball tournament make his day? His raw, childlike and unpretentious contentment when he saw me made my day as much as it made his.

3 comments:

  1. my eldest nephew.... my heart melts for you and it's not just for your looks... if only you still allow me to kiss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dayi... no, san yi, I will let you kiss me when you visit me in Germany with Tingting and Fufu! Bart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will go there to kiss you!!!!!! Not likely to be in 2011 though... 2012 is possible! :)

    ReplyDelete