Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bart's Goodness

Consistently for the past three evenings, Bart has been loading the dishwasher after dinner. On his own initiative. This has always been my job, or sometimes Christophe's. Even though we practise having the three older boys to clear the table, load the dishwasher and tidy up the kitchen after dinner, it has not always been without reminders, several reminders. It makes us so tired from reminding, some times we would give up and do it ourselves.

Bart surprised us that evening. I was so pleased. What came over him, I don't know. But I do know Christophe and I were extremely proud of his assumed responsibility. That evening, he became a role-model for his younger brothers. We openly acknowledged his positive actions and praised him for his consideration and initiative. That must have spurred him to repeat his behaviour for the subsequent evenings, which we delightfully welcomed. I remarked, "Bart, thank you. You make me very happy. If this goes on, I think I will live a long life." I did not get to see his expressions, but I can imagine he must be feeling very proud of his little action.

My heart is swelling with pride, warmth and blessedness as I write this. My nagging can be such a pain in the bottom for them, but hey! I just witnessed the first blossom of my hard labour. The rewards of parenting really come at their own pace. But they will suffice with discipline, perseverance, and a little bit of patience. I am enjoying this lingering sweet feeling while it lasts... at the same time, using it to motivate them more so they will all grow up to be responsible and promising young men.

That evening, he earned a much bigger hug and kiss than usual from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment