Monday, February 21, 2011

Hoi Ya!

The bullying episode had propelled me to urgently look for a self-defence class for the boys, all four of them. And me. No longer do I nor Christophe wish to hear any one of the children getting bullied. The heart cringing has to be a thing of the past. In order for history to remain history, the present (routine) must be altered.

Hence this trial class of kungfu. More specifically Wing Chun (or Wing Tsun). For those who had watched the movies Ip Man and Ip Man II, you would know this martial art immediately. Developed by a lady, this art is extremely powerful, wicked and intimidating. I know it because I was badly injured in the chest by an unintentional "poke" by a practice opponent in one of the few classes of Wing Chun I had attended in KL. That injury caused a lot of pain in the chest while inhaling, extensively limited my arms movement, cost me a bomb in chinese medicine and took weeks till I saw complete recovery.

It was this injury that eventually helped me decide on which martial arts to learn for the boys. If the hurt inflicted could put me down to the ground in a flash without exerting bull's power, and swift enough for the boys to turn and run, that is the martial arts for them.

No, of course I do not ever want the boys to have to use the kungfu on anyone. The purpose is to give others the feeling that they cannot be bullied, they won't be their bully targets, and even better, standing up for the weak ones when they witness a case of bullying.

Besides, the trial class last week was pure fun! Both Enzian and Ludwig picked up a few practical tips on how to attack and defend. Too cool!

I am hoping to take Bart to the youth class tomorrow. I am happy I do not have to force him to take up this class this time. I guess he has realised the importance of knowing how to defend himself in this environment full of rowdy children.

No comments:

Post a Comment