It has taken 8 months for our container from Malaysia to arrive at our doorstep. No, it doesn't normally take that long to sail from there to Hamburg. In fact, it had docked at Hamburg port a few weeks after we arrived in July last year but they didn't release it to us because of some screw-ups by the logistics company we had unfortunately hired in Malaysia.
So, on a foggy, cold and wet early morning, Opa, Pepe, Meme and Christophe were standing at our gate at 8 o'clock, waiting for the trailer to arrive. It arrived on the dot and the men and the woman wasted no time to clear the 20-foot container, as quickly as they physically could because we were only given two hours to do so, any time beyond that will be charged at 60 Euro per hour.
My lower back had been giving me problems after lifting a 600kg sandpit one week ago. My movements were restricted and I knew if I carried any more heavy stuff, it would break. So I only pushed the trolley bearing the lighter cartons and did some unpacking. Naturally I felt bad to see my in-laws doing the work of what younger people should do, and worse to see them working against the ticking clock. When the last item was pulled out of the container, we couldn't believe we had done it, in 1 hour 50 minutes!
Thank you Opa, Pepe and Meme for the help that you have so generously offered!
No comments:
Post a Comment