Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Lesson of Snow

I am writing this in an attempt to distract my attention.  The sleep last night did not rejuvenate my completely worn out self, perhaps just physically, but nothing close to mentally, spiritually.  

I came home yesterday from Chinese class and plonked myself on the couch, refusing, or rather, unable to bring myself to function like normal.  Entirely drained of energy.  The last torch of fire extinguished.  Battled, defeated, dead, but undead.  The week had been tough, my limits constantly challenged, my pleas to stop ignored.  It is a time when I think some help would be great, but I don't usually like to depend on others, because I know reliance can become a habit, an undesirable one.  One that I have learnt not to go near as long as I know I have a way around it, no matter how difficult it can be.  I like to think that this would make me a stronger person.  Times like this do toughen me up, of course, not without receiving a few blows to my emotional stamina in the process.  I would gladly endure it if I emerged to become more robust.

I am already feeling slightly lifted after spilling my toxicated vibes out.  Writing has always been therapeutic for my soul, and I only wish I could express my feelings better. 

With my partially cleansed soul, now I am good enough to go back to the original intention of this post.  I woke up yesterday to this (see first photo below).  I would estimate 12cm of snow.  This winter isn't like the winter the year before.  Very little snow, and if it did, it never survived for more than 3 days.  So you can imagine the horrific shock on my face when the white snow quietly greeted me.  I had to be fast, the snow had to be cleared before we could leave for Chinese class.  This time round, I wasn't planning on doing the snow clearing myself.  I have been feeding the 4 boys in the house well, so I felt it is high time they do something manly.
So much snow, even those branches were bending low due to the weight of the snow.  Later in the morning, it snowed even more, I was desperately hoping that the snow would not stay, while the boys couldn't wait to come home from their class so they could build their ice barricades for a snowball battle.
I sent them out to discharge some of their energy before breakfast.  I must say they did a good job for their ages, of course I had to keep reminding them not to play and thank goodness they listened.
The boys at work, diligently shovelling heavy scoops of snow to the sides for a clear walkway.  Compared to last winter, I am so well-prepared this time. Not only had I bought them winter boots, snow boots, snow jackets, water-proof insulated gloves, I had also bought Johann a kid's shovel so he could participate in this fun and useful task.
I don't really dislike snow, I just don't like the work that accompanies it.  I am still awed by its white beauty, the tranquility that always tags along with it.

What greeted me this morning.  Gloomy but no snow.  Obviously, their snow battlefield didn't happen yesterday.  When we came home, the snow was already melting due to the rising temperature, much to my silent delight but to the boys' grumpy disappointment.  There was still snow, but it was also very wet, very much like the 7-Eleven slurpee.  
Not a single trace of snow left in less than 24 hours.  Tree branches sprouting high and tall, without the burden of yesterday's snow.
I guess god has a way to teach us the lessons of life.  Every time I am thrown into the low, I would always come back up again.  Just like the snow pressing its weight on the branches, once the sadness subsides, I will be standing high and tall once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment