Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bart's 12th Birthday Party

Bart turned 12 last week.  On his actual day, we did a small celebration.  His party would begin two days later, when his four good friends would arrive on a Monday evening for a sleepover cum movie night.  To schedule his party on the actual day would put a strain on Christophe as he only returned a day before his birthday, giving him no time to recover from his jet lag.

Come Monday evening, the excitement grew as his friends started to arrive one by one.  I had a hard time getting him and his brothers to stay rooted to their chairs to finish their dinner.  This was the first time any of our boys had a 2-night sleepover birthday party.  So I could understand why they had ants in their pants, including Bart's friends.

Before causing havoc to the house, I sat all of them down and set my house rules.  No eating and drinking in the bedroom.  No jumping on the bed.  Sit while urinating.  Clean up toys before moving on to their next activity.  Clear their utensils after each meal.
From left, P, S, Bart, E and T.  Bart couldn't decide who he is closest to, they all are.
They all accepted the rules and went upstairs to their room.  Amidst all their bursts of energy, they were well-behaved.  They listened when I told them not to this, not to that.  They followed my instructions reasonably well.
Boys will be boys.  One can't stop them from such actions.
After the sleeping bags were laid and sleeping arrangements agreed upon, it was time to tune their body system down by watching a short movie before they turn in.
They surprised me when I only had to tell them once, to change to pyjamas and brush their teeth before the movie.
All settled nicely and comfortably.  I can't remember what they watched.
I thought they would all go to bed after the movie.  I was so wrong.  Two boys slept at 2 or 3am!  I didn't nag at them because this was a special occasion, for once, I would be nice and not spoil their fun.

Next morning, I didn't expect them to be up so early, but I already heard noises from 7am+.  Their morning activity was cake decoration, which I had posted earlier.  Here are more photos of each boy at work.








After their hard work, it was time for them to sing the birthday boy a song before they eat what they had decorated.


Sorry, I was too slow in recording but managed to catch the last verse.






After breakfast, we sent them outside to play but they came back like in less than 30 minutes!?  One of them had to use the bathroom and so all came back.  Afterwards, they all decided they wanted to watch Avatar.
It was a long movie, they had chips and lemonade to eat and drink along while Christophe and I prepared lunch.  After lunch, they went upstairs to play with Lego before we chased them outside to play again.  This time, they stayed out for 2 hours, playing in the snow.




After exhausting their energy outdoors, they were finally able to lay their hands on Wii.  Not long after, two friends were picked up by their fathers  while another two stayed on for another night.  I think they all enjoyed their time with us.  One of them did not want to go, he even cried.  Another almost yelled at his parents on the phone because he insisted on sleeping over for a second night.  As one father best put it, "this is the best feedback for your party."

Indeed it is.  Happy 12th Birthday Bart, I hope we have given you a great one.  Love... daddy and mummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment