Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cream Puffs

Last Saturday, after Chinese class, we went to Pepe and Meme's house because Meme was going to teach me how to make cream puffs.  I remember my 大姨's custard cream puffs, I used to love eating them and I was so happy I was going to learn making this from my mother-in-law, one of the most patient and loving woman I know.

Cream puff is called Windbeutel in German.  Literal translation is wind pouch.  These were filled with whipped fresh cream and jam.  Mmm...

Recipe taken from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or stand mixer, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry.
  4. When the shells are cool, either split and fill them with the pudding mixture, or use a pastry bag to pipe the pudding into the shells.

In French, it is called chou (a la creme).  These were filled with my favourite fillings, custard.  Custard that was made from scratch.  Extra Mmmm...
Recipe taken from www.taste.com.au/recipes


Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup thickened cream
  • 1 vanilla bean (see note)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon cornflour
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar

Method
  1. Combine milk and cream in a small saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape out seeds. Add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
  2. Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined. Remove vanilla beans from milk mixture. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
  3. Return mixture to saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 15 to 20 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (do not allow custard to boil, as it might curdle).
Me beaming with pride and elation with my virgin cream puffs!  Thanks Meme!  x 
The recipes are very similar to the ones from Meme.  It is not so difficult, but it takes time and some arm muscles for stirring the cream puff mixture vigorously when adding in the eggs.  It took me almost 2 hours from start to finish and the boys 10 minutes to scoff down an average of 4 puffs each.  So I question if I want to spend so much time in the kitchen and see them vanished into thin air in record time.

Maybe when I am a grandmother, for my grandchildren.  Just like Meme for us and her grandsons.  One day.  If I can live till that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment