Sunday, June 3, 2012

Emergency Dental Service

Who, in the right mind, would pay the dentist a visit on a sunny Saturday afternoon?

The pressure in my molar was too high it caused my eyes to tear, my legs to walk me around the living room in circles and forced me to open the first aid cupboard to reach for the only painkiller that I am not allergic to.  I have been putting off taking the painkiller because of its ultra strength.  I would feel floaty and I cannot process thoughts logically.  It would drag me to sleep but sleep wasn't what I wanted.  My only desire was to be pain-free!

The medicine knocked me off, numbed my pain partially but wore off in 4 hours.  I didn't have the right medicine to address my nerving pain.  So Christophe decided to take me to the weekend emergency dental service in the hope that they could find the root cause of my molar sensitivity.

After an X-ray, other than revealing a filling that is deep and touching the tip of my pulp (nerves), the dentist decided to remove the 8-month-old composite filling to see what could be the culprit that was slowly crippling me each day. It turned out that underneath the filling, there was a tiny cavity that could be easily overlooked.  In fact, it also took her a second look before she saw it.  That cavity was the bacteria causing evil that created the painful pressure in my molar, handicapping me for almost a week at (house)work, soiling my mood, turning me into a dislike-able person and making me cry.

The dentist treated it, put some medication over it and covered it with a temporary overlay on my tooth.  This is to give the treatment time to determine if that cavity is the true culprit for the pain.  Once determined, i.e. no more pain, I would have to return to my regular dentist to have a proper filling done.

It's been over a day since I returned from the emergency dental service.  Things are looking brighter.  After the anesthetic wore off, the pain returned throughout the night, but I had to assume it was due to the drilling and treatment, rather than the pain before I got treated.  I experienced no more pain during the day, I was careful with chewing food during meals, and avoided chewing with my affected molar.  Twice, I accidentally chewed on it, the pain shot back up.  I cringed and had to wait minutes before I could finish all my food.

I think the emergency dentist had nailed my problem.  Or I would still be suffering even more.  Even though I am not completely back to normal, I must say I feel optimistic for the first time in days.  I can't wait to have my fillings done in the next few days.

I am also glad that I seek a second opinion.  My regular dentist, whom I had gone back twice for my pain, was reluctant to investigate deeper into my problem.  I hope by going back to her after seeing another dentist will bring up her vigilance in treating her patients timely and accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment