Thursday, September 16, 2010

Like Poles Attract

This morning, as I was walking Enzian and Ludwig to their respective classrooms, I saw an asian lady who looked like she had just dropped her child/ren (or grandchild/ren) off. She looks a bit elderly to have kids this age (6-10 years old) but too young to be considered a grandma. Anyhow, I guess she is either a mainland Chinese, Taiwanese or Hong Konger.

It was a very special moment for me, for I am drowned in a sea of white people here, mixed with a small percentage of people from Africa and the middle-east. Seeing someone in my skin tone and hair colour with the same flat facial features brings me closer to that person on the spot, regardless of our relation (or rather, non-relation). It reminds me of my roots, that we originate from the same continent, probably raised in similar cultures and traditions and possibly speak the same language! In fact, whenever I see a person with black hair, I involuntarily pay more attention to him/her, especially those with their backs facing me. I would pick up my footsteps just so to catch a glimpse of the face! Most of the time, I am slapped with a European or middle-eastern face, “why do these people have to have black hair to raise me false hopes that we might be ‘similar’?”, I always felt cheated.

Back to that asian lady. In that mere 2 to 3 seconds, I felt like the whole world had stopped spinning and everything else around us was blurred out. Intuitively, we made eye contact and smiled to each other ever so spontaneously. I whispered a small “hello” and she acknowledged shyly but smilingly. That was magical! Then the world started to spin again as we each moved on to do what we were there to do.

Because of that moment. Today, my heart is extraordinarily warmed, my face wore a smile that comes from within.

I hope to bump into her again soon.

Like Poles Attract II

Like Poles Attract - Epilogue

3 comments: