The grandmother whom she allows me to call her 徐阿姨 is from Zejiang (浙江). Her son and daughter studied in Germany and decided to stay put after their graduation. Her daughter married a German and they have a 13 years old son. Her son is married to a Chinese who was born and raised in Germany. 徐阿姨 and her husband are looking after the two daughters, aged 6 and 9, of her son and daughter-in-law, whose restaurant business require their full-time management.
It isn't the perfect kind of acquaintance, for we are one generation apart. But she is one woman I know I certainly can learn heaps of things from. I already have deep respect for her because if I were her, I wouldn't have moved to Germany to become a "mother" to her granddaughters 9 years ago while the girls' parents work. At her age (early 60s), she should be enjoying her life, yet she has to learn German so she could help with the homework, on top of cooking and doing housework.
Are all mothers so sacrificial? I am afraid I am nothing compared to her. She could just be my role model. If she can do it, why can't I?
My feet were so cold when I got home, but the cold stopped at the feet for my heart was warmed by a budding friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment