Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oktoberfest 2010 - The Rides

As mentioned in my earlier Oktoberfest post, the biggest incentive to go to this world's largest fair is to take a ride in the Olympia Looping Roller Coaster. The cultural embrace was an eye-opener, the food and beer were really just secondary. What I actually wanted was to experience the 5 loopings, the 5 vertical loops that resemble the 5 Olympic rings, on a roller coaster ride. The largest portable fair coaster in the world.

I was a smart-ass. Since I knew I was only going to take this ride just once, I might as well make it my best ride ever. And one that I can boast about in the future. Without any hesitation, I queued up for the front seat, with Enzian. As the queue got shorter, my palms became colder and sweatier. My breathing was short, my heartbeat was fast. I did, for a split second, think about turning back, but well... it was like I had said, a split second. I did not want to go back on my own words. I wanted to be proud of myself, to walk out the coaster exit with a sense of achievement, that I had conquered one of the toughest coaster rides in this fair.

The queue wasn't too long, maybe 10 to 12 pairs of eager riders waiting for their turns. Christophe, Bart and Ludwig were in front of us. As the queue got shorter, our jokes became more serious. The smiles of excitement were subtly replaced by grins of unease. OK, OK! I am only describing myself.

It was our turn. My weak legs barely carried me to the seat while Enzian was already comfortably settled in his next to mine. Before I thought I was ready, the car was already moving! At this point, there was no turning back, not that I had planned to, if that split second thought didn't count. We were immediately pulled upwards, and upwards and more upwards. I knew what was coming. I was already screaming for my drop later. I remember quite clearly, I think I was the only one screaming at the pull. *Blush*.

As the car approached the peak, ready to give me a 30m plunge down at a 52 degrees vertical angle with a G-force of 5.2, my eyes popped, my heart exploded and my lungs hung loosely on my chest. Holy Sh**! Before I was finished with the plunge, I was confronted by the first loop, then the second, followed so quickly by the third. I thought I was going to die, when I was transported to the next pull upwards. The pull this time wasn't as bad as the first, honestly it wasn't! Nonetheless, as if the first drop wasn't enough, the second plunge absolutely provided the blow it needed to kill me. But no! I was still alive! Damn it, I didn't know I was that resilient! For after I witnessed the fourth and the fifth loops, I started pulling back my lungs, pushing my eyes back to their sockets and picked up my heart pieces and threw them back into my chest. Before we reached the end of the ride, I looked as normal as I was before I hopped into the car, with a wide smile on my face. All but fake.

Getting out of the train was one thing. I realised I haven't fixed my legs yet! I did a quick last minute scramble and walked out as leisurely as I could pretend. But alas! I had joined my left shin to my right thigh and vice versa! No wonder I felt I was walking on springs! Enzian and I joined the three who were waiting for us at the exit. "How was it?" asked Christophe enthusiastically, I paused for a while, still trying to calm my nerves, and replied, "today's weather is a bit dry, I feel I am coming up with a sore throat."

KO.

Here's a youtube link to view the ride. Try it before you tell me, “not so bad, what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment