Friday, September 24, 2010

Take Shelter, It's a Hailstorm!!!

Clink, clank, clink, clank. I was in the kitchen preparing dinner. Clink, clank, clink, clank. It was so loud, what were the boys doing?! I came out of the kitchen and was completely exhilarated to witness a hail! A strong hail. At that instance, I had to grab my camera to capture this unusual natural sighting on tape, and get the boys to stop whatever they were doing and join me and be awed by this amazing weather condition.

Extracted from Wikipedia, "Hail is composed of transparent ice or alternating layers of transparent and translucent ice at least 1 millimetre thick, which are deposited upon the hail stone as it cycles through the cloud multiple times, suspended aloft by air with strong upward motion until its weight overcomes the updraft and falls to the ground."


I am so pleased I managed to locate the camera in time. The hail lasted for approximately 10 minutes. A phenomenal 10 minutes.

A close-up of the hail stones after the storm. Ok, ok, not so close, but it was as close as I could get without getting wet since it continued to rain heavily after that.

1 comment: