Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Emotional Impact of Flowers

What a beautiful vase of fresh pink roses!

Would you buy fresh flowers to titivate your home? To give your living room a mild scent of sweet freshness? To bring you positive emotional feelings when you enter the room?

That was what Tante Inge did. At 76, she is considerably fit. Widowed 10 years ago, she lives a healthy lifestyle filled with lots of walking. Incredibly independent, she keeps herself active by taking holidays, sight-seeing tours, climbing the mountains and maintains an apartment in tip-top condition.

When we picked Johann up from her last week from an hour of babysitting while we met Enzian's teacher, the presence of these flowers immediately triggered happy emotions in me, causing me to snap pictures non-stop at different angles in the middle of her conversation with Christophe. I did not know what came into me, what I knew was I felt deeply satisfied, from just that few stalks of roses. It is a magic that plastic flowers wouldn't be able to perform.

Never a believer in spending money on fresh flowers, knowing that they would only wither a couple of days later, I have never ever bought home flowers, much less heightening feelings of satisfaction for the family. The positive emotional impact of flowers on humans is in fact based on scientific beliefs.

That day, Tante Inge's sentiments finally became transparent to me. A truly sentimental lady, but one I might never become.

2 comments:

  1. I spent 7 bucks on a huge bunch of bright yellow fresh flowers (daisies look-alike) over the weekend and it is still looking good after 3 days.. nothing beats having a vase of lovely flowers in the room.. it will be money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mama and I will go to Far East Flora at Thomson Road to buy large bunches of fresh cut flowers for Chinese New Year every year. Having a big vase of fragrant flowers certainly brightens up the room and lits up our faces :)

    ReplyDelete