Saturday, November 27, 2010

Work vs Play

It is a beautiful Saturday. The sky finally cleared out the clouds and let us see the big blue and feel the lukewarm sun rays. Unfortunately, I can't say warm, it is so cold, the rays are simply not strong enough to warm us up.

When the boys woke up, they literally screamed and jumped for joy. They could finally play with snow! But alas! They had promised me the day before they will complete their homework first thing in the morning, so they still have to wait till they are done. I think having to finish their homework this morning must be extremely agonising for them, because even I was torn between letting them play first, and work later and work first, play later. The days are short, and it is not often that we see clear skies like today, and even so, the skies can be covered with clouds again in just a few short hours. Besides, it's weekend, they don't have to go to school, they have the whole day to themselves. So if they play now and work later, they would be maximising the most fun of out it.

But the problem is, they can never guarantee me that they will do their homework after playing. Based on more than enough previous bad experiences, they don't normally deliver their promises. At least not without some gentle reminders... er hem... lectures and scoldings, to be precise.

So the evil took the better of me, or the good? It depends on the angle this matter is viewed. I decided that they do their work first, advising them good-heartedly to just place their full concentration in getting them done in one hour, and the rest of the day is theirs to decide whatever they want to do.

Naturally and predictably, it didn't turn out that way. They were simply overexcited. Instead of doing their work, all of them crowded in front of the window, watching the snow, and envisioning what they would do when they are out there, occasionally leaping into midair in their wildest imaginations.

They are so not capable of containing their thrills while I am so not understanding of their overspilling enthusiasm. In fact, they are close to becoming hysterical, in a good way. I am so not impressed with them and myself.

It was only three hours later that they eventually made it outdoors. I don't even want to be reminded of the details of how each of them, especially Ludwig, finally managed to complete their homework.

Watching them throwing snowballs at each other from a short but safe enough distance, I thought to myself, I have made the right decision.

And no, the clouds did not engulf the skies in that few short hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment