Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcoming 2011 with a Blast!

(Please scroll down for back-dated entries below).

The past few days passed by in a blur, a mixture of laziness, hibernation, no mood for nothing. I sincerely didn't think the year was going to end any differently. Even going to the shops to get the rockets was part obligatory. Why do we spend the money to just burn them later? There wasn't anything I was looking forward to. My mentality was to try to stay awake till midnight, go out, watch the boys launch their rockets, pop a champagne, wish each other happy new year, then go back to bed. But holy cow! Thank god it didn't happen that way!

This is absolutely the highlight of the New Year. Fireworks. Mini firecrackers. Sparklers. They come from everywhere. Literally everywhere. Front. Back. Left. Right. Up. Down. There is not one direction that I turn to that I don't see fireworks. The sounds, it's amazing, so overwhelmingly beautiful to the ears. It starts already from 8pm on new year's eve, crescendos and reaches it utmost height when the clock strikes 12. The best part of the finale was its duration. It lasts close to an hour before the street peace takes over again.

Standing in the middle of the street of our house, my laughter is outrageously loud, I couldn't describe how very lucky and delighted I am. Celebrating the new year in a brand new environment with my closest loved ones, doing something that we have never done as a family before - preparing to launch our rockets and explosives to add more colours to the pitch black skies. Actually, it is enough just to stand and watch the magical concert in the skies for me, but firing the rockets are a big thrill to the boys. To say we are all so excited is a big understatement. So if you are planning on coming to visit us, I strongly recommend this time of the year.


The first day of 2011. I am already saturated in happiness in the fullest form. I honestly didn't have the slightest clue that spending that 18 Euros could buy me so much happiness. It was money well-burnt. I am already counting down to 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment