Sunday, November 27, 2011

The First Advent

Today is the first day of Advent.  I guess I still have to get myself more integrated with the "religious" culture here, to prepare an Advent wreath with four candles, for the first candle to be lit today.  This cold I am having is taking forever to go away, thanks to the dipping temperature.  The cough seems to have developed its own character, giving me good days and bad.  Yesterday was a bad day.  But I am not going dwell on it.

They have certainly gotten their dosage of fresh air for today.  Hopefully they would sleep like babies tonight.  The boy on the extreme left is the neighbour's son.
The boys didn't want to let the first Advent pass without lighting the first candle of our wreath... which was non-existing in the morning.  They got themselves dressed for the outdoors and immediately set to work in the garden after their breakfast.  In less than 2 hours of snipping, gathering, twining and lots of running, they proudly produced their first home-made Advent wreath.
The Heldeis Advent wreath.  Pine cones were added but not visible.  I am sure their next wreath would be much nicer.
This is what I appreciate about the German system here.  Children are taught plenty of how-to's on top of the academics.  They learn about the culture habits of all the different occasions that are observed and celebrated here, and they bring what they learn in school home, to expose their alien mother more about their culture so they can also practise at home.  Many a times, Christophe would reinforce what they have learnt in school at home, either by telling them more or by putting what they have learnt to work.
Night has fallen, the first candle lit.  Such a beautiful sight.
Today is special.  It isn't just because it is the first Advent, nor they DIY the wreath.  It is more because my in-laws came.  I am one hell of a blessed daughter-in-law that has not one, but two sets of wonderfully loving parents-in-laws.  Here's why.

After Chinese class, the boys and I went to their Pepe and Meme.  They took us for a walk and we visited a mini Christmas market nearby.  When we returned, Meme got Enzian, Ludwig and Johann to help make a bowl of salad, and went through the French test corrections with Bart while I laid on their couch trying to take a nap.  I was exhausted from 2 weeks of being a single-mom.  The untimely non-life-threatening illness didn't kill, but didn't help either.  My patience with the boys was stretched, I was close to being worn-out.  I lost my appetite as a result of my cough.

However, plans still have to be made for the next day.  It was decided they would come over to help the boys with their upcoming German tests.  When we left after dinner, I must have appeared like a zombie, my eyes must have looked lifeless, my body slumped.  There was only one thing I had in mind when we got home - to crawl into my bed.

Pepe and Meme arrived on time at 12pm today.  They brought over Christmas cookies for the boys and... lunch.  Lunch.  LUNCH.  L-U-N-C-H.  So I did not have to cook.  I did not have to cook!  I DID NOT HAVE TO COOK!  Do you know how much this means to me?

While Meme took Enzian and Ludwig for their German, Pepe played with Bart and Johann in the garden.    All of a sudden, peace started to envelope me like a mother would cradle her baby.  The tranquility I experienced was priceless, much awaited for but never in my slightest, demanded.

That three hours of quiet therapy had worked wonders for my sanity.  I was gently shifted back to the middle of my mental balance scale, neither tipping to the left nor to the right, just right in the middle.  Meme knew what I needed and she gave me just that.  I couldn't help but feel moved.  I felt loved.  So loved.

I love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment