Friday, December 30, 2011

Two is Better than One (than Four)

I wanted to capture the extra rosy rosiness of his cheeks after his second jog of his life, but the lighting is too warm and poor to do the job well.  His mouth is stuffed with his beef hor fun dinner, so he couldn't smile his usual smile for the camera. Love this cheeky look!
Having only these two with me for the fourth day now allows me to take a peek at how it is like to live as a family of four.  A modern day standard size family.  People with 1 or 2 children, you don't know what it's really like to raise four.  I have a crazy friend who has five, and she has my ultimate respect.

You can never say, yes it is more housework, more laundry, more cooking, more this and more that and say you can imagine or cannot imagine how it is like until you are put in that situation for at least a week.  Most people who learn that I have four usually give me a "respect!" remark.  "More respect!" when they further learn that the four are boys.  But there are a few who would not leave their idealistic world and think that there is minimal difference between having 2 and 4.

I never, in my life, once had two children at any one time.  Ok, maybe for that one minute, while the gynae pulled Ludwig out.  I was first given one, then the statistic jumped to three.  Even with the help of my mother and two maids then, I was having tremendous emotional stress, albeit I had sufficient rest.  Imagine if I hadn't any help and support at all, I wouldn't know how I would have survived.

To raise even one child is stressful.  You want the best for them, you take care of their needs, you teach them independence.  Now I have two, from my history of four, I feel I am on a holiday.  Yippee!

Enzian sipping hot Kinderpunsch while reading the book that was gifted to him by Meme and Pepe.  Kinderpunsch is a hot punch, mainly grape juice with cinnamon, served traditionally at the Christmas markets for the children in winter here.  The adult version, with alcohol obviously, is called Gluehwein. Very warming to the body when sipping in the cold.
So I better cherish this precious time before it is over.  I am going to take them out for a nice breakfast buffet now.  Opa, Oma, Pepe and Meme, thanks for making this holiday easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment