Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Mother's Dilemma

My mini making mini potato dumplings.
I always treated him like a baby, because he is the baby in the family.  I always gave him the privilege of not having to clean up, or if he had to, only minimal to be done.  I always thought he must be given more attention to, to be taken care of more, to be cuddled more often, because he is my last baby.  But I never realise that the little baby I once had has grown up.  In many ways, he is screaming to my deaf eyes and my blind ears that he is ready for some independence, and perhaps, of some help to me.

This evening, he insisted he wanted to help me roll the potato dumplings into mini balls, a side dish to our roasted turkey drumsticks.  I was so adamant, but relented to his repeated assurances that he could really do a good job.  It turned out that, he not only did a good job, it was perfect.  Round and firm.  No mess at all.  I was so impressed with his skills that I subsequently let him take over my job to complete balling the rest of the potato mass, which was almost half of what I started.

Sigh... I don't want him to grow up, I even told him not to grow up so quickly and got chastised by Christophe.  I am so proud of his growth and development, yet I am so reluctant to let him go.

Where are my kisses, where are my hugs?
Where is my baby that I love so much?
Here are your kisses, here are your hugs.
Here is your baby that you love so much.
But mom, I must grow up.  And I will love you just as much.

Life is just so... bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment