Sunday, January 29, 2012

One of My Favourite Malay Noodles - Mee Rebus

The original mee rebus is eaten with un-marinated fresh green-cut chillies and red chilli paste.  The gravy is already spicy, which has been mellowed down so I won't get a burning stomach.
This is a dish that I am determined to make one very fine day. I once told a Malay friend here that I have been craving mee siam and mee rebus for the longest time. Of course, as a Chinese family, my mom never cooked them and when we wanted to eat them, it was only a matter of going downstairs to the coffee shop and order them. But here, when the cravings call, the only way to satisfy them is to DIY, and not being exposed to Malay cooking is my biggest handicap (and excuse) of not trying it out in my kitchen to-date. So you can imagine how moved I was when she said she was going to leave a portion (in fact, I got 2) for me the next time she cooked. There are two persons I must thank for this - the Malay friend, who is the chef and Amanda (the same one who brought over the durians), who delivered it right to my doorstep. With friends like this, tell me, what more could I ask for? ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment