Thursday, March 1, 2012

French Onion Soup

Why did I cook this?  I did not even plan it.

I was digging into the freezer for some pork bones two night ago, thinking of making a good prawn stock for prawn mee soup the next day.  What I found was a pack of meaty beef bones.  With no slightest of any intention, that steered my direction away from my Singapore food and pointed me toward France.

I ended up standing in the kitchen for 90 minutes, preparing a good beef stock, slicing and caramelising lots of onions.  As a result, I also smelled like a roasted onion.  Bleh.

This is a dish that I will only cook "once a year" as I said to Christophe.  And when I do, I will replace the entire beef stock preparation process with beef stock cubes.  The caramelising of the onions is such a time-consuming process and not very rewarding.  I put in 8 cups of sliced onions and I only yielded 2 cups of caramelised ones.  In fact, it is not rewarding at all.

Well, the soup turned out very good though.  Soup, with a piece of white bread in it, topped with grilled cheese.  Mmmm... simply yummy.  The only feedback I received from Christophe was I could be more generous with the white wine in the soup.

Next time, darling, next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment