As I am typing out this entry, my heart is in some form of pain and agony. Behind the rather put-together brave front, I am, by contrast, feeling very unsettled, helpless and most definitely traumatised.
While preparing the last bit of lunch, the doorbell rang and I had expected both Enzian and Ludwig. It was them indeed, but accompanied by someone, who had asked to speak to me. The lady, who looked 6-7 months pregnant, appeared slightly shaken and pale, introduced herself to my puzzled face and went on to explain her presence.
The car that she was driving had hit Enzian down from his bicycle. I immediately halted her from continuing and rushed down to the office in the basement to get Christophe up, so he could get a better picture as she was speaking in German.
While she related the entire accident to him, I took Enzian aside for a quick head-to-toe observation. He was unusually quiet and looked listless. I was worried. He had sustained several little scratches on both his legs, some big bruises and a graze behind his left knee. One could imagine what injuries he would have without his jeans.
The lady, who acted responsibly, gave us her name and contact number. She looked very concerned and agreed vigorously that we should take him to the doctor for a thorough check up, just to ensure that he was verified alright by the medical professionals. Even though we didn't witness how it happened, I could gather from her actions that the accident wasn't a light brush. I am grateful for her responsible action, that she parked her car where the accident had happened and walked them both home.
Ludwig was 2 bicycle-length away from Enzian so he witnessed the whole occurrence. After a big gasp, he literally threw off his bike and ran towards Enzian. Three other passerby also stopped to help.
At the doctor's, I told the nurses why we were there and we were led directly to the doctor's office, without having to wait. I appreciate that they took this matter so promptly and seriously. The check was thorough. No fractures. No visible open wounds. Apart from the little scratches and the graze, the doctor observed several more bruises than I did, all over his legs. After cleaning up and dressing the grazes, doctor warned that the pain from the impact will start kicking in in the evening and he might develop nightmares from the accident. He was also given a note to be excused from sports lessons for the week and that I have to take him back for a follow-up check in 2 days.
The pain has kicked in even before we arrived at the doctor's. In fact, he was slightly limping. Back home, as I applied cream for his bruises, I realised that the collision impact from the car directly onto his right thigh was stronger than I had previously assumed. The patches were large, and as the bruises started to surface in greener, bluish and pinkish colours, my heart ached as I tried to soothe his painful whines.
It was then that I asked if he cried when he was hit. His answer, "yes, I cried but only for a short while because I was very shocked.."
His quiet, regular breathing next to me in my bed is the only thing that is soothing me right now. But this is only after some moans before he settles into a deeper slumber. I know I won't sleep well tonight. The pain on his legs is the pain in my heart. It will only go away when the pain for him goes away.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment