Monday, January 12, 2015

The 5:2 Fast Diet - First Fast Day Experience

I am almost through my first fast day. I am doing this (in the hope) to shave off a few extra kilos (one dress size) I have put on over the past one year, and after reading rave reviews about it, to promote overall health.

I am supposed to consume only 500 calories on my fast day. I plan to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. So today, I had nothing for breakfast, a bowl of cauliflower clear soup (120 calories) for lunch, another bowl for dinner (120 calories) and a small roasted teriyaki chicken drumstick (120 calories). I also had a glass of black tea with a bit of milk (25 calories) in the later evening. Total calories today: 385 calories. Wow! I could have actually eaten more! Oh well, I'm sure there will be one of those fast days I would eat more than 500 calories. So I won't make up for the under eating today. Throughout the whole day, I drank lots of water. One must imagine the high frequency visits to the toilet.

To my surprise, the day wasn't hard to pass. What annoyed me more was having to go to the toilet so often. I also wasn't starving which I feared I would. I wasn't full, but I wasn't hungry. I was more worried that going hungry on an almost empty stomach would cause me gastric pains, but thankfully it didn't happen.  I thought I might also suffer from headaches, but I was fine.  In the late afternoon, I heard my stomach growling, I just drank more water and kept myself distracted with other things. I didn't feel faint, I have the same amount of energy as other days, I still cooked for the family. I wasn't even lured to eat my favorite fried bee hoon! I was glad I did not cave in. There was a passing thought, to be honest, but it was tiny enough that I could successfully ignore it. When I sat down to have my first meal of homemade cauliflower clear soup, I thought the soup tasted wonderful... Haha... When one only has that for a meal, I guess we make the best out of it. At evening, after checking with My Fitness Pal how many calories a drumstick has, I decided to go for it as the diet advises eating light protein to sustain the fullness. Indeed I felt very satisfied after that. I think I have done very well in my determination department today. I derived courage to try this diet from reading many encouraging testimonies from people all over on the Internet. I even ordered the book and its cookbook last night. Can't wait for them to arrive!

The biggest motivation of today's fasting is, I know I will get to eat whatever I desire tomorrow and on my non-fast days!! This thought makes today much easier to pass. I have something to look forward to! Strangely, I don't even know yet what I crave for tomorrow. There simply isn't any food cravings, and I am typing this down with a stomach that is slowly getting hungry. I should really quickly finish this off and go to bed, for when I wake up in the morning tomorrow, that would signify that I have successfully fasted on my first fast day!! What sweet thought is that?

If this proves to be that easy and totally achievable, I also look forward to my next fast day on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment