Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Wet Welcome to 2012

The drizzle did not spoil the boys' fun nor did it dampen their festive mood in welcoming the new year!
I still feel the best time to visit us is in December.  The short days long nights (8am sunrise, 4.30pm sunset) is a small price to pay for experiencing the (bitter) cold winter, if lucky, cold white winter.  There are so many advantages.  The first one is you don't have to shower everyday.  You don't even perspire, so you won't smell.  Showering on alternate days is good enough.  Even so, you might feel reluctant to part with the clothes that are keeping you so comfortably warm.  Stepping on the cold shower floor with your bare feet is a courageous step, one that no one should try to belittle.

You will get to drink hot Gluehwein (for adults) and Kinderpunsch (for kids).  You will appreciate the meaning of a hot drink warming up your body in this freezing temperature, while learning how to heat up the house by lighting up the fireplace.  Listening to the cackling sound of burning wood is almost equivalent to appreciating a good piece of classical music.  Close your eyes and whatever is in your imagination would come alive.  So zen.

Setting off your own fireworks on new year's eve would be the highlight of your stay.  Words and videos cannot describe enough the thrills and joys of watching these fireworks, they are everywhere.  The video is an attempt to illustrate the noise on this night and us setting off our fireworks.  I didn't think it was necessary to buy fireworks this year, because this is really a money burning business.  You buy, you shoot, you see the works in the sky, and the money is burnt.  100 million euros is spent on fireworks in Germany.  And we are part of the contributors.  But I must say, it is money well-burnt.  Hehehe...
I have not tried skiing and/or snowboarding, but they say it is a great sport.  An experience not to be missed.  I can't elaborate accurately as long as I haven't done it.

Making your first snowman.  Playing your first snowball fight.  Cooling your bottle of champagne in the snow.  Eating ice cream and not having to worry they melt faster than you eat.  Early sunset could also mean more family bonding time, playing board games, or simply watching a good movie.  Eating different types of fondue.  Meat.  Cheese.  Chocolate.  Going nuts about nuts.  Walnuts.  Hazelnuts.  Pistachios.  I even discovered they sell chinese chestnuts (gao lug) here.  They call it Maroni.  Visiting Christmas markets.  You will feel it IS Christmas here.  And if you think eating so much would make you fat, jogging in the cold would definitely be a refreshing experience for you!

This year, we welcomed the year in the rain.  We were wet, but our moods not drenched.  The last two fireworks almost died on us.  But we clinked our champagne glasses regardless.  I still feel the best time to visit us is in December. 

1 comment: